AfricaReligion

Death toll rises in Kenyan cult massacre

Total fatalities have surpassed 200, with investigators expecting more bodies to be recovered

Exclusive News

Kenyan police discovered 15 additional bodies on Wednesday, bringing the death toll from the ‘Shakahola Forest Massacre’ near the coastal town of Malindi to 226, according to RT News.

Last week, investigators reported organ harvesting in some of the first 112 bodies to be found. Most of the victims are said to have died of starvation after allegedly following the instructions of Paul Nthenge Mackenzie, who is facing terrorism charges.

Mackenzie, the founder of the Good News International Church, is being held by police for allegedly inciting his followers to engage in ritual fasting in order to “meet Jesus.”

Faith Ambole, a local resident who spoke with RT, said she has been trying to locate five relatives who were members of the religious sect but has been unsuccessful. “I’m calling on the government to intervene and help us, we have no means, we are poor,” Ambole said.

Over the weekend, Kenyan President William Ruto accepted responsibility for not doing more to prevent radicalization, and apologized for the government’s “laxity” in the case.

Read more

Related posts
AfricaHistory

A Kenyan tribe’s search for its leader’s stolen skull

In the heart of Kenya, amidst the sweeping savannahs and lush landscapes, a compelling narrative…
Read more
AfricaHealth

Another African nation eliminates sleeping sickness

In another significant stride toward eradicating sleeping sickness, an infectious disease caused by…
Read more
AfricaPolitics

African state revokes French company’s uranium mine permit

An African state has made headlines by revoking the uranium mining permit of a prominent French…
Read more

Sign up for Africa Insider’s Daily Digest and get the best of  news, tailored for you.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *